From the episode “Sub Shop SOS”
FOR THE FRENCH TOAST
- 12 slices of 1” thick-cut Challah Bread
- 2 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp butter
FOR THE CHEESECAKE FILLING
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz sour cream
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
FOR THE STRAWBERRY COMPOTE
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries, cleaned, trimmed and cut in half
- 6 oz granulated sugar
- 2 oz balsamic vinegar
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
FOR THE GARNISH
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, cleaned trimmed and diced
- ¼ cup crushed graham crackers
- Powdered sugar, as needed
- In a mixing bowl, add the milk, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and sugar. Whisk these ingredients together.
- Dip the sliced bread into the egg mixture.
- Place a large non-stick sauté pan over medium heat with the grapeseed oil and butter.
- Place the battered bread into the heated pan and allow to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until the French toast is golden brown in color.
- Remove from the pan and repeat for the rest of the French toast.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the softened cream cheese, sour cream, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon zest together and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pot over medium heat, add the strawberries, sugar, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir and bring the mixture to a simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until strawberries start to break down.
- Using a blender, puree the compote mixture for 1 minute until smooth.
- Place ¼ cup of the strawberry compote on the bottom of the plate and spread 2 tbsp. of diced strawberries in compote sauce.
- Next, place 1 piece of French toast on top of the compote and strawberries and spread 2 tbsp. of cheesecake filling on top of the French toast and garnish the cream cheese filling with 2 tbsp of diced strawberries.
- Repeat the French toast / cheesecake filling / diced strawberries steps again twice, creating a triple stack of topped French toast.
- Garnish with a tbsp of crushed graham crackers and powdered sugar.