From the episode, “Restoring a Reputation”
FOR THE SPICED TOMATO SAUCE
2 tbsp grapeseed oil
1 white onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup tomato paste
1 tsp garam masala
½ cup white wine
6 cups canned crushed tomatoes
Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
FOR THE MEATBALLS
2 lbs 80/20 ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1 onion, small diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup panko bread crumbs
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
¼ cup mint, chopped
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
FOR THE PASTA
1 lb shell pasta
2 cups English peas
1 cup yogurt
3 oz olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup pine nuts
½ tsp chili flakes
Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
SPICED TOMATO SAUCE
1) In a large sauce pot over medium heat, add the grapeseed oil, onions and garlic. Stir and allow to sweat for 3 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
2) Add the tomato paste, garam masala. Stir and allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
3) Deglaze the sauce mixture with the white wine and add the crushed tomatoes. Bring the sauce mixture to a simmer.
4) Turn the sauce down to low and allow to cook for about 30 minutes. Season the finished sauce with kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste.
1) Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
2) In a large mixing bowl, add the ground beef, ground pork, garlic, onions, and eggs.
3) Using your hands or a wooden spoon incorporate all ingredients together.
4) Add the panko bread crumbs, cilantro, mint, salt and pepper.
5) Mix the meatball mixture and form the mixture into 2 oz. meatballs and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
6) Place the meatballs in the oven and allow to cook for about 12 minutes.
7) Place the par-cooked meatballs into spiced tomato sauce. Allow the meatballs to simmer in the sauce over medium heat and finish cooking for about 30 minutes, until tender.
1) Cook the pasta al dente, according to package and spread the cooked pasta onto a sheet pan and set aside.
2) Place a small pot filled with lightly salted water on the stove over high heat and bring to a boil.
3) Next, add 1 ½ cups of English peas to the salted water and allow to cook for 1 minute (reserve the other ½ cup of blanched English peas for finishing the pasta dish).
4) Remove the blanched peas from water and place into a food processor, along the yogurt, olive oil, garlic, pine nuts and chili flakes. Blend well for 1 minute and season with kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste.
1) In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the remaining ½ cup of blanched English peas, 1 cup of the pea-yogurt sauce and the cooked pasta.
2) Stir and warm together and season with kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste.
3) Place dressed pasta in bowls.
4) Top the dressed pasta with the cooked meat balls.
5) Finish the pasta dishes with the chopped basil and crumbled feta cheese.