From the episode, “Best Friends Forever”
FOR THE DOUGH
5 ¼ cups bread flour
2 tbsp plus 1¼ tsp. sugar
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tbsp cool water
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp active dry yeast
2½ tsp fine sea salt
FOR THE SAUCE
12 oz canned plum tomatoes, puréed
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp oregano, chopped
1 bunch basil, chopped
FOR THE TOPPINGS
8 oz Italian sausage
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced
1 onion sliced
8 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
8 oz smoked gouda cheese, grated
4 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
1) Using a stand mixer with a dough hook mix all ingredients except the yeast and salt. Once mixed, sprinkle with yeast.
2) Mix on low speed for 5 minutes or until everything is tacky, stopping to scrape sides of bowl as needed. Increase speed to medium-low; mix 4 minutes or until dough clings to dough hook. Add salt. Mix 5 minutes or until dough is soft, stretchy and resilient when poked.
3) Transfer dough to a clean work surface. Cut into 4 pieces (each about 8oz). Mold the portions into tight formed balls. Squeeze each ball near bottom to eliminate any big air pockets. Gently roll on surface in a circular motion to create a smooth, tight ball. Place dough on a baking pan. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 24 hours or up to 3 days. Remove from the refrigerator and let it rest covered at room temperature for 1 hour. After 1 hour stretch the dough.
4) Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle, 1/8 inch thick.
5) Place dough into a 400-degree oven either on a pizza stone, or on a baking sheet. Cook for 5 minutes just until the dough is just cooked through.
6) Remove dough from the oven and allow to cool.
1) In a mixing bowl add crushed tomatoes, oregano, garlic, and basil.
2) Place in refrigerator.
1) Insert a pizza stone or baking sheet into the oven and pre-heat to 400 degrees.
2) In a sauté pan over medium heat add sausage. Toss and stir sausage to break it up.
3) Add onions and jalapenos. Allow to sweat.
4) Remove sausage and peppers from pan and set aside.
5) Spread pizza sauce on the par-cooked pizza dough edge to edge. Then top pizza with peppers, onions, mozzarella, and smoked Gouda.
6) Place pizza in the oven and allow to cook for about 5 minutes or until the pizza crust is light brown in color and crispy.
7) Cut the pizza into 6 slices and finish with grated Parmesan.