From the episode, “Holding On To The Past”
FOR THE PORK ROAST
1 half pork shoulder (about 6 lbs)
2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp Hungarian Paprika
1 cup of chicken stock
FOR THE FIELD PEA HUMMUS
3 cups field peas
1 lemon juiced
5 garlic cloves minced
1 cup tahini
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp cumin
FOR THE ORZO TABBOULEH
3 cups orzo, cooked and chilled
2 cups flat leaf parsley
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup beef steak tomato, seeded and diced
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1) Pre-heat an oven to 275 degrees.
2) In mixing bowl whisk salt, black pepper, brown sugar, smoked paprika, cumin, and Hungarian paprika.
3) Lightly coat the pork should with dry rub.
4) Place pork shoulder on a baking sheet.
5) Place in the oven and allow to cook for 2 hours, uncovered.
6) Then cover with foil and allow to cook for 2 more hours.
7) Let the pork shoulder rest, for approximately 20 minutes.
8) Once pork shoulder has rested, slice into thin strips.
FIELD PEA HUMMUS
1) In a food processor add field peas, lemon juice, and garlic. Slowly incorporate tahini and extra virgin olive oil.
2) Season with salt pepper and cumin.
1) Cook orzo according to package and set aside.
2) In a mixing bowl add parsley, garlic, tomatoes and lemon juice.
3) Add cooked orzo and extra virgin olive oil. Mix together.
1) Reheat the sliced pork in a sauté pan with chicken stock and bring to a boil.
2) Place a large spoonful of field pea hummus in the middle of the plate.
3) Put the sliced pork and chicken stock on top of the field pea hummus.
4) Finish with orzo tabbouleh on top.