From the episode, “Living up to Mom”
FOR THE CRISPY BREAD
4 ¼ cups bread flour
1 cup blue corn meal
2 tbsp plus 1¼ tsp sugar
1 ¾ cups plus 2 tbsp cool water
1 tsp active dry yeast
2½ tsp fine sea salt
Oil, enough for deep frying
FOR THE AVOCADO LIME VINAIGRETTE
1 avocado, diced
1 cup mayonnaise
½ cup sour cream
2 oz cilantro, chopped
3 oz grapeseed oil
5 oz lime juice
2 oz rice wine vinegar
2 oz sweet chili sauce
FOR THE SHRIMP BOWL
1 lbs peeled and deveined shrimp, sliced in half (21-25)
1/3 oz grapeseed oil
8 oz radishes, diced
8 oz cherry tomatoes, diced
4 oz pineapple, diced
1 cup baby arugula
Juice of 1 lemon
4 tbsp cilantro, chopped
4 tbsp mint chopped
1) Using a (KitchenAid) stand mixer with a dough hook, mix all crispy bread ingredients except the yeast, salt, and frying oil. Once mixed, sprinkle with yeast.
2) Mix on low speed for 5 minutes or until everything is tacky, stopping to scrape sides of bowl as needed. Increase speed to medium-low; mix 4 minutes or until dough clings to dough hook. Add salt. Mix 5 minutes or until dough is soft, stretchy and resilient when poked.
3) Transfer dough to a clean work surface. Cut into 5 pieces (each about 2 oz). Mold the portions into tightly formed balls. Squeeze each ball near bottom to eliminate any big air pockets. Gently roll on surface in a circular motion to create a smooth, tight ball. Place dough on a baking pan. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 24 hours or up to 3 days. Remove from the refrigerator and let it rest covered at room temperature for 1 hour. After 1 hour stretch the dough.
4) Using a rolling pin roll the dough into a 4-inch circle, 1/8-inch thick.
5) Place dough into a 375-degree fryer, and allow to cook for approximately 3 minutes or until the dough is cooked through.
6) Remove dough from the fryer and set aside.
1) Using a blender add all ingredients and puree until smooth.
2) Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
1) Place the fried bread on a plate and lightly dress the bread bowl with lime avocado vinaigrette.
2) In a sauté pan over medium-high heat add grapeseed oil and shrimp.
3) Cook the shrimp for 3 minutes on each side, remove the shrimp from the heat.
4) Top the bread bowl with diced cherry tomatoes, radishes, and pineapples. Top with sautéed shrimp.
5) In a mixing bowl, add arugula and dress with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Top with arugula.