From the episode, “R.E.S.P.E.C.T.”
FOR THE SHORT RIB
4 raw 10 oz bone-in short ribs
1 tbsp kosher salt
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp Cajun spice
2 tbsp grapeseed oil
2 each carrots, diced
1 each onion, diced
2 qt beef stock
½ each fresh pineapple, peeled and large diced
1 qt pineapple juice
2 cups sweet BBQ sauce, store bought
FOR THE TURNIP PUREE
½ cup white onion, julienned
1 stick butter
3 cloves garlic, sliced
3 cups turnips, peeled and large diced
2 cups heavy cream
Kosher salt & ground black pepper, to taste
FOR THE SAUTEED VEGGIES
2 cups sweet potatoes, diced medium
2 tbsp grapeseed oil
1 lb fresh green beans
2 tbsp butter
1 shallot , julienned
1 canned roasted red pepper, julienned
Juice of ½ lemon
Kosher salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
FOR THE JERK BBQ SAUCE
1 cup ketchup
1 cup mustard BBQ sauce, store bought
3 tbsp jerk seasoning
¼ cup hot sauce
3 tbsp butter
1) Pre-heat oven at 325 degrees F.
2) In a large mixing bowl add salt, brown sugar, smoked paprika, and Cajun spice. Mix together.
3) Evenly coat each short rib with the mixed rub 1 hour prior to cooking.
4) In a large roasting pan or pot over medium heat, add the grapeseed oil. Sear the rubbed short ribs on all sides. Remove the seared short ribs from pan and add the carrots, onion, and pineapple. Stir and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
5) Add beef stock, pineapple juice, BBQ sauce and bring to a simmer.
6) Place the seared short ribs back into the cooking liquid, cover and place in a 325-degree oven. Cook for 3.5 hours or until ribs are tender.
7) Remove short ribs from liquid.
1) In a large sauce pot over medium heat, add the butter and onions and allow to cook for 6 to 8 minutes making sure not to get any color on the vegetables.
2) Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
3) Add the turnips and continue to cook over medium heat for another 3 minutes.
4) Add heavy cream, stir and bring to a simmer and allow to cook for another 12 to 15 minutes until tender.
5) Place mixture in blender and carefully blend until the mixture is a smooth puree.
6) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
1) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Roast the sweet potatoes with the grapeseed oil on a sheet pan for 15 to 20 minutes until tender.
3) Bring a medium sauce pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
4) In a large mixing bowl, prepare an ice water bath.
5) Blanch the green beans in the salted boiling water for 1 minute, remove, and place the cooked green beans into the ice water bath to shock them and stop the cooking process.
6) In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the shallots, blanched green beans, roasted sweet potatoes, and roasted red peppers.
7) Stir and continue to sauté for 2 minutes.
8) Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
JERK BBQ SAUCE
1) In a large sauce pot over medium heat, add the ketchup, mustard BBQ sauce, jerk seasoning, and hot sauce. Bring to a boil.
2) Remove from heat and incorporate butter into mixture.
1) Toss short ribs in BBQ sauce and place in 350-degree oven for about 10 minutes.
2) Place 3 oz of turnip puree on the plate. Top that with the sautéed vegetables.
3) Next place short rib on top of sweet potatoes and green beans.
4) Finish the dish with a little more Jerk BBQ sauce drizzles on top of the short rib.