From the episode, “The Dutiful Son”
FOR THE CHICKEN POZOLE
2 oz grapeseed oil
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, large diced
Kosher salt and pepper, as needed
1 white onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
2 cups tomatillo salsa (store bought)
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 bunch oregano, sliced
3 tbsp cumin
2 cups lager beer
3 cups chicken stock
Juice of 4 limes
2 cups canned hominy
FOR THE PICKLED CARROTS & JALAPENOS
1 ¼ cup white wine vinegar
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp honey
1 jalapeno pepper, thin sliced
2 cups shredded carrots
FOR THE LIME CREMA
1 cup sour cream
½ cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
Juice of 1 lime 1 lime
¾ lbs tortilla chips
1 cup cheese curds
1 bunch scallions sliced
1 bunch cilantro, rough chopped
2 oz lime crema
1) Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F.
2) Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
3) In a Dutch oven or medium sauce pot over medium-high, add the grapeseed oil and chicken thighs. Sear on both sides.
4) Remove the seared chicken thighs from the pot, then add onions, garlic, and jalapenos. Allow to sweat for 5 minutes.
5) Add tomatillo salsa, cilantro, oregano, cumin, beer, chicken stock, lime juice, and hominy and bring mixture a boil.
6) Place the seared chicken thighs back in the pot.
7) Stir and cover the chicken pozole mixture and bake for about 3 hours.
PICKLED CARROTS & JALAPENOS
1) In a small sauce pot, add the white wine vinegar, sugar, and honey.
2) Bring pickling mixture to a boil.
3) In a separate bowl, add the shredded carrots and jalapenos. Pour hot pickling liquid over the carrots and jalapenos. Cover carrots and jalapenos and allow to cool at room temperature.
1) In a mixing bowl, mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, cumin, smoked paprika, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
1) Place the chips in a bowl then top with cheese curds and hot chicken pozole.
2) Top with the pickled carrots & jalapenos, cilantro, scallions, and lime crema. Serve.