A healthy, hearty way to welcome fall.
7 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups pearl barley
1 bay leaf
1 medium butternut squash
5 tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, minced
1 garlic clove, sliced
2 cups maitake mushrooms, sliced
2 cups oyster mushrooms, sliced
2 cups crimini mushrooms, quartered
½ cup white wine
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 tbsp fine herbs (chopped chives, parsley, tarragon)
Salt and pepper
1) Bring 5 cups chicken broth to a boil and add the barley and bay leaf.
2) Cook for 30-35 minutes. Spread on a sheet pan to cool.
3) Preheat oven to 350°.
4) Peel the butternut squash. Cut off the bottom, split it down the center, remove all seeds, then dice. Toss the squash with 2 tbsp olive oil, then place on a baking sheet. Cook in oven for 15-20 minutes.
5) In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil, shallots, and garlic.
6) “Sweat” the shallots and garlic, then add the mushrooms. Sauté until tender.
7) Deglaze the pan with white wine (heat until sauce forms). Add 2 cups chicken broth, barley, and squash and continue to cook over medium heat.
8) Once the barley begins to thicken, add cheese and finish with fine herbs.
PROTEIN: 24 g
FAT: 14 g
CARBS: 87 g
Originally appeared in Robert Irvine Magazine.