From the episode, “Out with Old, In with New”
SERVES 4 FAMILY STYLE
FOR THE BRAISED RED CABBAGE
2 tbsp butter
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, thin sliced
4 cups red cabbage, shredded
2 honey crisp apples, peeled and diced
12 oz red wine vinegar
12 oz water
3 tbsp sugar
½ cup honey
FOR THE POTATO SALAD
3 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, diced
4 oz bacon, sliced
1 white onion, sliced
2 tbsp honey
3 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
1 tbsp chives, chopped
FOR THE SCHNITZEL
20 oz boneless pork chops, pounded thin
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups flour
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
3 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp clarified butter or ghee – store bought
1 lemon, cut into quarters
BRAISED RED CABBAGE
1) In a large sauce pot add butter and sliced onions.
2) Allow the onions to sweat for about 4 minutes.
3) Add garlic and allow to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
4) Add shredded cabbage, apples, red wine vinegar, water, sugar, and honey.
5) Bring mixture to a boil. Allow to boil for about 5 minutes.
6) Drop cabbage mixture to a hard simmer. Cover and cook for about15 to 20 minutes.
1) Place the cut potatoes in large pot with seasoned water.
2) Allow the potatoes to cook for about 25 minutes or until cooked through.
3) In a large skillet over medium-high heat add bacon, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the bacon is light brown in color.
4) Using a spoon, remove the bacon from the pan, leaving the bacon fat in the pan.
5) Add sliced onions and allow to cook for about 4 minutes.
6) Add cooked potatoes, bacon, honey, cider vinegar, chopped parsley, and chives.
7) Allow all ingredients to continue to cook together for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
1) Using a knife, trim the fat off the pork chop.
2) Line a cutting board with plastic wrap. Place the trimmed pork chops in a single layer on the cutting board and cover with plastic wrap.
3) Pound the cutlets with a meat mallet or the back of a heavy saucepan until cutlets are ¼ to ½ inch thick.
4) Set up three bowls. In the first bowl, combine salt, pepper, and all-purpose flour.
5) In the second bowl, add the beaten eggs.
6) In the third bowl, combine panko bread-crumbs and parmesan cheese.
7) Dredge both sides of the cutlet in the seasoned flour.
8) Then dredge it in egg wash.
9) Last place it in the panko and Parmesan cheese mixture. Set aside.
1) In a large skillet over medium heat, add the clarified butter (or ghee) and heat for 30 seconds.
2) Add the breaded pork chop and cook for about 4 minutes on each side. The pork chop should be golden brown in color and just cooked through.
3) Place cooked pork chop in the center of a plate. Top the pork braised cabbage with bacon potato salad.
4) Serve pork chop with lemon slices on the side.