From the episode “Hard Knocks in Hendersonville”
For the Ropa Vieja
• 2 tbsp. kosher salt
• 2 tsp. smoked paprika
• 1 tsp. cumin
• 2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
• 4 lbs. chuck roll, cut into chunks
For the Ropa Vieja Sauce and Braise
• 3 tbsp. grapeseed oil
• 1 Spanish white onion, diced
• ¼ cup red peppers, diced
• 3 tbsp. green olives, diced
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 dry red wine
• 2 cups peeled canned tomatoes, crushed
• 2 tbsp. ketchup
• 1 cup beef stock
• 1 bunch thyme
• 1 bunch chives, sliced
For the Black Beans
• 2 tbsp. grapeseed oil
• 3 cloves garlic minced
• 1 jalapeno pepper diced
• ¼ cup canned diced tomatoes
• 1 cup canned black beans
• 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
For the Jasmine Rice
• 1 cup jasmine rice
• 3 cups chicken stock
• 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
1. Pre-heat and oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl add salt, smoked paprika, cumin, and Cajun spice.
3. Season chuck roll with spice mixture approximately 2 hours prior to cooking.
Ropa Vieja Sauce and Braise
1. In a sauce pot over medium-high heat add grapeseed oil and chuck roll and sear on all sides.
2. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside.
3. Using the same pan add onions and red peppers and allow to sweat.
4. Next add olives and garlic and allow to cook for another 2 minutes.
5. Deglaze the pan with red wine and allow to reduce for approximately 4 minutes.
6. Next add tomatoes, ketchup, beef stock, and thyme. Bring mixture a light boil.
7. Add seared beef back to the braising liquid, and cover.
8. Place beef into the oven and allow to cook for approximately 4 hours. Beef should fork tender.
1. In a sauce pot over medium heat add grapeseed oil, garlic, and jalapeno peppers. Allow to sweat.
2. Next add diced tomatoes, black beans, and cilantro.
3. Allow to cook for approximately 10 minutes.
1. Pre-heat an oven to 400 degrees
2. In a sauce pot over medium heat add jasmine rice and chicken stock. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover and place in the oven.
3. Allow to cook for approximately 12 minutes.
1. Place jasmine rice in the middle of the plate.
2. Next top the jasmine rice with beans, and the braised ropa vieja.
3. Finish with chives.