From the episode, “Clueless in Idaho”
FOR THE COCONUT RICE
1 cup jasmine rice
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper
FOR THE BACON PORT WINE JUS
1 cup bacon, diced
2 shallots, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 oz port wine
3 oz balsamic vinegar
1 bunch rosemary
1 qt beef stock
8 oz heavy cream
FOR THE LOCO MOCO
4 burger patties (about 8 oz each)
4 tbsp grapeseed oil
12 oz Brussels sprouts quartered
3 tbsp scallions, sliced
1) Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
2) In a sauce pot over medium heat, add jasmine rice and chicken stock. Bring mixture to a boil. Add coconut milk and cilantro and mix well. Cover and place in the oven for about 12 minutes.
PORT WINE JUS
1) In a sauce pot over medium heat, add bacon and allow to render for about 3 minutes.
2) Add shallots and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes, or until shallots and garlic are translucent in color.
3) Deglaze the pan with port wine, balsamic vinegar, and rosemary.
4) Add beef stock and bring to a light simmer.
5) Finish with heavy cream and remove rosemary.
1) Season the burger patty with salt and pepper on both sides.
2) In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp grapeseed oil and the burger to the sauté pan. Sear for about 4 minutes on each side.
3) In a separate pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp grapeseed oil. Add the Brussels sprouts and sauté for 3 minutes. The Brussels sprouts should be light brown in color and cooked through.
4) In a separate pan over medium-low heat, add 1 tbsp of grapeseed oil. Add eggs, one at a time, and cook sunny side up.
1) Place a large scoop of rice in the middle of the plate.
2) Top with crispy Brussels sprouts.
3) Top Brussels sprouts with burger patties. Dress with bacon port wine jus.
4) Finish with fried egg and sliced scallions.