From the episode, “Delusions of Grandeur”
FOR THE MUSHROOM SAUCE
2 tbsp grapeseed oil
8 oz shitake mushrooms, sliced
Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
8 oz raw bacon, diced
1 each onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, thin sliced
2 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
2 sprigs rosemary, chopped
2 oz white wine
4 oz chicken stock
2 oz heavy cream
12 oz beef stock
2 tsp red wine vinegar
FOR THE PASTA
1 lb bowtie pasta
1 tbsp butter
12 oz duck confit, shredded (store bought)
3 tbsp niçoise olives, sliced
8 oz brie cheese, large diced
2 tbsp shredded Parmesan
3 tbsp toasted panko bread crumbs
2 tbsp chives, chopped
1) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Season mushrooms with salt, pepper, and oil and roast for 12 minutes in the oven.
3) In a medium sauce pot over medium heat, add the bacon and onions and allow to sweat for 5 minutes or until bacon is rendered and onions are tender and translucent.
4) Add the garlic, thyme, and rosemary and allow to cook for another 2 minutes.
5) Deglaze with the white wine and reduce by half.
6) Add the chicken stock, heavy cream, beef stock and vinegar and reduce by half.
7) Finish the sauce by add the roasted mushrooms and season with salt and pepper to taste.
PASTA & PLATING
1) Place sauce pot filled with salted water on the stove on high heat, and bring to a boil.
2) Cook pasta in boiling water, according to the package instructions.
3) In a separate large sauce pot over medium heat, add the butter and duck confit. Stir and allow to brown slightly.
4) Next, add the mushroom sauce and niçoise olives. Bring mixture to a rapid boil.
5) Remove mixture from the stove and using a whisk incorporate brie and Parmesan cheese.
6) Add pasta and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
7) Place pasta in a bowl and top with chopped chives and the toasted bread crumbs.