Crawfish Etouffee Poutine – As Seen on Restaurant: Impossible
From the episode, “Resentment on the Bayou”
4 tbsp butter
½ white onion, diced
4 celery ribs, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 garlic clove, sliced thin
2 tbsp tomato paste
4 tbsp all-purpose flour
¼ cup white wine
3 cups seafood stock or clam juice (store bought)
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tbsp creole spice
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 lb cooked crawfish meat
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp hot sauce
Juice of 1 lemon
Kosher salt and black pepper
Oil, enough for deep frying
1 lb shoestring French fries
8 oz cheese curds
1 bunch scallions, sliced thin
1) In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the butter, onions, celery, peppers, and garlic. Stir and allow the vegetables to sweat about 3 minutes. The vegetables should not have any color.
2) Add the tomato paste, stir, and cook for another 3 minutes.
3) Add flour and cook for about 3 more minutes.
4) Deglaze with the white wine and add the seafood stock, thyme, creole spice, and smoked paprika. Stir well and bring to a simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
5) Add the crawfish meat, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and fresh lemon juice. Stir well.
6) Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
7) Preheat fryer to 375-degrees.
8) Place the French fries in the frying and cook for about 3 minutes just until fries are golden brown in color.
9) Place the cooked fries onto a plate and top with cheese curds, then top with the etouffee sauce and garnish with scallions.