1 whole chicken (4 pounds)
4 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
4 oz unsalted butter, lightly melted
1/2 tbsp coriander
pinch of cayenne
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 cups (16 oz) pomegranate juice
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
1) Preheat oven to 425°F.
2) Finely chop the sage and garlic. Combine the butter, sage, garlic, and salt in a bowl and mix well until combined.
3) Rub the chicken with salt and pepper, cinnamon, coriander and cayenne pepper, and then add the butter over the entire chicken including the cavity and underneath the skin. Place any additional sage or garlic inside the cavity.
4) Place the chicken in the middle of a cast iron skillet Place the chicken in the oven and roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
5) While the chicken is roasting, pour the pomegranate juice in a sauce pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until the juice has reduced by 3/4 and formed a syrup, about 15 minutes.
6) Remove the chicken from the oven and baste the chicken with half of the glaze. Return the chicken to the oven and roast for an additional 15 minutes. add more syrup every 2-3 minutes.
7) Allow the chicken to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before carving. Spoon any additional pomegranate black pepper glaze over and garnish with pomegranate seeds.
PROTEIN: 43 G
FAT: 18 G
CARBS: 18 G