From the episode, “Back on Track in Glendora”
FOR THE PICO DE GALLO
2 red onions diced
8 Roma tomatoes
2 cloves garlic. minced
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 lime, zested and juiced
FOR THE CRISPY ONIONS
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE
8 oz sliced American cheese
8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
FOR THE SANDWICH
3 lbs beef chuck
1 tbsp Montreal seasoning
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp ground black pepper
2 carrots, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
2 garlic cloves sliced
16 oz stout beer
3 sprigs rosemary
3 sprigs thyme
16 oz beef stock
4 baguette rolls
1 tbsp butter
PICO DE GALLO
1) In a large mixing bowl, add onions, tomatoes, garlic, cilantro, jalapeno, and season with salt and pepper.
2) Add lime zest and juice and mix well. Make at least 1 hour prior to serving.
1) Place sliced onions in buttermilk and allow to sit for about 3 minutes.
2) In a large mixing bowl, add flour, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
3) Add sliced onions to the flour.
4) Dust off onions and place in a 350° fryer for 3 minutes until onions light brown in color and crispy.
1) In a medium sauce pot, add milk and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer.
2) Using a whisk and hand blender, slowly incorporate American cheese and cheddar cheese.
3) Finish with salt and pepper.
4) Cover prior to serving.
1) Season beef chuck with salt, pepper, and Montreal seasoning 24 hours prior to cooking.
2) In a large sauté pan, sear beef on all sides. Remove from pan. Add carrots, onions, celery and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes allowing vegetables to lightly brown.
3) Deglaze the pan with beer. Allow the beer to reduce by about half. Then add rosemary, thyme, and beef stock.
4) Bring mixture to a boil. Add beef chuck back to pot. Cover and place in a 325° oven for 4 hours.
5) Pull beef from oven. Allow to cool. Using a fork or your hand, shred beef.
6) In a large sauté pan, add butter and baguette, open face down in butter. Toast about 2 minutes until golden brown.
7) Add cheese sauce to pulled beef and mix.
8) Place pulled beef on baguette. Top with Pico de Gallo and crispy onions.