From the episode: Hard Time at Josephine’s
24 oz ground beef (80/20)
8 slices white bread
2 tbsp butter
8 oz pimento cheese
8 oz mushroom gravy (see sub-recipe)
1 green pepper, caramelized
1 yellow onion, caramelized
4 cups French fries, deep fried
8 tsp Cajun spice
1) Divide the ground beef into four six oz balls and form into patties. Season on each side with kosher salt and black pepper.
2) In a very skillet, sear the patties for 2-3 minutes on each side.
3) Turn the heat down to medium-low and add the mushroom gravy, allowing each patty to simmer for about a minute.
4) Pan fry the bread on each side with the butter, allowing it to lightly toast.
5) Spread pimento cheese on one side of each slice of bread. Top with the patty, and evenly portion the caramelized peppers and onions on top. Top with any remaining mushroom gravy and second slice of bread.
6) Toss French fries with Cajun seasoning and serve with burger.
MUSHROOM GRAVY RECIPE
2 sticks butter
1 white onion, sliced
2 tsp minced garlic
½ lb white mushrooms, sliced
8 tbsp all-purpose flour
8 oz beef stock
1) In pan over medium-high heat, add butter, onions, and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until onions are golden brown.
2) Turn the heat to high and push the onions to the side of the pan.
3) Saute until all vegetables are caramelized. Season with salt and pepper.
4) Turn the heat to low and dust the vegetables with flour. Continue to cook together for another 3-5 minutes.
5) Add beef stock and bring to a simmer. Cook and stir for another 3-5 minutes, making sure to get all the lumps out.