From the episode, “New Roles, New Results”
FOR THE PORK CHOPS
5 bone-in pork chops
20 slices prosciutto, thinly sliced
FOR THE HOPPIN’ JOHN
8 oz. bacon, diced medium dice
1 white onion, diced medium
3 ribs celery, diced medium
2 green bell peppers, diced medium
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup chicken broth
3 cups black eyed peas
FOR THE RED EYE GRAVY
4 oz shot espresso
2 oz thyme
2 cups beef or pork stock
4 cloves garlic, sliced
2 shallots, minced
1 stick butter
FOR THE COLLARD GREENS
2 cups collard greens, chopped
2 oz bacon, diced medium
1 onion, diced small
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup chicken stock
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1) In a hot sauté pan sear pork chops on each side.
2) Wrap pork chop with prosciutto; finish in a 350° oven for 8 minutes.
1) In a large rondo style pot add bacon. Allow to render for 5 minutes. Allow to get crispy.
2) Add white onions. Cook for 4 minutes until translucent. Cook through.
3) Next add chicken stock, vinegar, and sugar.
4) Cook for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
1) In a rondo style pot over medium-high heat, add bacon and allow to render.
2) Add onions, peppers, celery, and garlic. Cook for 6 minutes.
3) Add black eyed peas and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Allow mixture to simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.
4) Season with cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
RED EYE GRAVY
1) In a large sauce pot add shallots, garlic, and thyme.
2) Allow to cook over low to medium heat.
3) Next add beef stock and bring mixture to a boil.
4) Allow to cook for 40 minutes.
5) Strain off garlic, thyme, and shallots.
6) Using a whisk finish sauce with butter and espresso.
7) Season with salt and pepper.
1) On each plate, lay down a large spoonful of Hoppin’ John.
2) Top with cooked pork chop and a ladle or two full of red eye gravy.
3) Place collard greens on side and serve.