From the episode, “Old Habits Die Hard” (Perella’s)
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE
2 cloves garlic, sliced
½ white onion, diced
16 oz San Marzano tomatoes
1 tsp. tomato paste
½ cup red wine
1 tbsp grapeseed oil
FOR THE POLENTA
1 cup polenta (dry)
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
3 tbsp grated Parmesan
FOR THE CHICKEN
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp chili flakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
10 eggs, cracked and whipped
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
2 bunches broccolini
5 chicken thighs
3 qts blended oil (or favorite animal fat)
10 oz tomato sauce
2 tbsp grapeseed oil
1) In a small sauce pot over medium heat, add onions. Allow to cook for 3 minutes. Then add garlic and allow to cook for 2 more minutes.
2) Next add tomato paste and red wine and allow to cook for another 4 minutes.
3) Last add crushed canned tomatoes and allow to cook for 1.5 hours. Season with salt and pepper.
1) In a mixing bowl add salt, sugar, and chili flakes and mix.
2) Coat 1 tbs of cure on each chicken thigh 24 hours prior to cooking chicken.
3) Place chicken in a roasting pan or a deep pot and cover with oil. Place in a 250° oven for 1.5 hours.
4) Pull chicken from fat and allow to chill.
5) Blanch broccolini in a pot of boiling water. Finish in a sauté pan over high heat.
BREADING AND FRYING
1) In 3 separate mixing bowls, add flour in one, eggs in another, and Panko bread crumbs in the third.
2) Place already cooked chicken in flour, then eggs, and last in Panko bread crumbs.
3) Place chicken in a 350° fryer and cook until chicken is golden brown.
1) In a small sauce pot add heavy cream and milk. Bring to a boil.
3) Using a whisk slowly incorporate polenta. Allow to cook for 10 minutes.
4) Incorporate cheese, butter, salt, and pepper.
1) Pull chicken and place on a cookie tray. Top chicken with 1 oz of tomato sauce, and top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
2) Place in a 350° oven and cook until cheese is melted.
3) Plate chicken on top of polenta and broccolini.